Re: cdrom_id from udev-135 hangs

ljb wrote:
> kay.sievers@xxxxxxxx wrote:
>> Can you try using libata drivers for it and see if shows the same
>> problem?
>
> Sorry, I looked and read and I can't find out how to do this. I know
> my kernel has libata and ata_piix compiled in, and I see a message
> from libata at boot time, but I am pretty sure it isn't being used on
> this PATA-only PC. I can't figure out how to get it to use libata for
> the CD.

Disable CONFIG_IDE.  Or disable CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE.  Or maybe disable
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD (but I don't know if the PIIX libata driver will
pick up just the CD drive).  Or disable CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PIIX.  This is in
approximate order of most-general to most-specific options; turning off
the last option will disable the least amount of code.

(I have CONFIG_IDE disabled entirely, but whether you can do that will
depend on your current IDE chipset(s) and their level of libata support...)

There may be ways to do this with kernel options as well, but I don't
know of any offhand.  Check Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt for the
full list of flags; something appropriate may be in there.  (At least
that would let you avoid recompiling.)