Re: firmware.sh questions

On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 05:10, Dan Nicholson <dbn.lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 4:40 AM, Leandro Dorileo <ldorileo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Few days ago I wanted to understand a bit better udev, and started
>> reading its source code, and went to TODO file to see how I could
>> start contributing, and picket the line: "convert firmware.sh to C ".
>> In that regard I have some questions:
>>
>> 1 - there isn`t any a udev rule using firmware.sh in upstream source
>> code(I may have forgot something but a grep -r 'firmware.sh' in
>> rules.d didn`t show me any thing), do distributors set one? I also
>> couldn`t find one in fedora 10.
>
> There's a rule in extras/firmware/50-firmware.rules that gets
> installed along with firmware.sh.
>
>> 2 - who does set $DEVPATH, $FIRMWARE variables used in firmware.sh?
>
> The kernel sets them as part of the uevent, I believe.

DEVPATH is always defined in every uevent and set by the kernel,
FIRMWARE is set by the kernel's "firmware" class and carries the
requested name, which the in-kernel driver has supplied to the
request_firmware() call.

>> 3 - why would be good "convert firmware.sh to C"? in TODO file this
>> line is followed by a "(?)" which makes me think it`s not well
>> discussed yet. ;)

Sure, a reasonable implementation would be fine. Especially as we call
'sed' now to collect failing requests. It can just link to libudev's
code to encode the filename.

> Speed? I don't know. It doesn't look like it does much beyond writing
> the firmware into a data entry in sysfs.

It does not really matter, but we got rid of most shell uses recently,
so it might be nice to convert that too.

Kay