Re: Moving Ubuntu to upstream udev rules

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 22:52, Piter PUNK <piterpunk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Kay Sievers wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 17:03, Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> # is it /devsr0 or /dev/sdc0?
>> SUBSYSTEM=="block", KERNEL=="sr[0-9]*", NAME="scd%n", SYMLINK+="sr%
>
> I think it's OK. From devices.txt:
>
> ---
> The prefix /dev/sr (instead of /dev/scd) has been deprecated.
> ( ... )
> (in recommended links)
> /dev/scd?       sr?             hard            Alternate SCSI CD-ROM name
> ---
>
> The recommendation is to have a hardlink here. But i think symlink is OK.

Devices.txt is pretty much ummaintained. If there will never a scd*
kernel name in the future, wich replaces the sr* nodes, then there
would be no real point in changing the kernel name here, just to cope
with an outdated document. :) We should ask the SCSI guys what they
recommend, have in mind here.

>> # rtc in group "audio"?
>> SUBSYSTEM=="rtc", GROUP="audio"
>
> To me, this is still very bizarre.

Yeah, it seem like a hack to work around some issues. No normal user
should be in the "audio" group in the first place, because you really
don't want people logged in over ssh to listen to your microphone and
anything like that.

>> # which ones do we need, not need?
>
> + X0R -> null
> + ramdisk -> ram0
> o ram -> ram1
> x lirc -> lirc0
> x vbi -> vbi0
> + radio -> radio0
> x video -> video0
> x fb -> fb0
> + ftape -> qft0
> x sbpcd -> sbpcd0
> o xpram* -> slram*
>
> The ones with + are from devices.txt.
>
> The links mark with x I thought they can still
> be there. Is common to point the /dev/foo symlink
> to the current /dev/fooN that's in use (usually
> the first one, foo0). If user don't wants these links
> he can always overwrite those links with custom rules
> in /etc/udev/rules.d.
>
> I don't know about the ones I mark with o.

The stuff we don't know about, we should probably remove and wait if
anybody uses it. :)

>> # group nvram needed?
>> nvram GROUP="nvram"
>>
>> # what are the right permissions?
>> fuse GROUP="666"
>> tty[0-9]* GROUP="600"
>
> I like tty with MODE="0620". But 600 isn't bad.

0620 sounds fine, if people use the "tty" group.

> The udev rules shipped with fuse-2.7.4 have
> MODE="0666" in there. Maybe isn't better to leave
> this to fuse package?

Yeah, makes sense to leave that to the fuse tools.

Kay