Re: Udev rule for HSDPA modem

On 12/03/2008 09:11:29 AM, Kay Sievers wrote:
On Wed, 2008-12-03 at 13:12 +0100, Kay Sievers wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 10:27, Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@xxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Ok, I found one. You mean "port_number", right? But unfortunately it
> looks pretty useless in this case. :)
>
>   $ grep . /sys/bus/usb-serial/devices/*/port_number
>   /sys/bus/usb-serial/devices/ttyUSB1/port_number:0
>   /sys/bus/usb-serial/devices/ttyUSB2/port_number:0
>
> They would only be not "0" if the serial lines would be on the same
> usb interface?
>
> We would need a per-device enumeration, but that's nothing the
> usb-serial stuff knows/cares about if we have different usb
> interfaces, right?

Greg, do you have a usb multi-port serial card? Can you possibly give
this a try, and show us "tree /dev/serial"?

I've been following this thread, and don't fully understand it
but have what may be a related problem.  I'll describe it here
just so that you can keep it in mind in case it's relevant
or if you want some information on my device.

I put my problem on hold some months ago and will eventually
get back to it.

I've a Digi Edgeport 4/16.  It's got 16 serial ports.
It's been a while and I don't really know what I'm doing
with udev but as I recall the device
has an internal USB hub and the kernel seems to discover the
different "plugs" on the "hub" in a different order at various times.
(There's either 2 or 4 serial ports on each internal "endpoint",
I forget.)
Hence, there's no persistent correspondence between physical
serial port and /dev device.  I tried writing some udev rules
akin to the persistent rule generation for network devices,
posted the results here, and got what seemed to be better
ideas back I've not followed up on.

Anyhow, I tried "tree /dev/serial/" to post the results
here and there is no /dev/serial.  Let me know if you'd
like some other information on the device.

Debian etch
Linux 2.6.18-6-686
udev 0.105-4

Regards,