Re: Udev rule for HSDPA modem

On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 18:37, Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 10:00:59AM +0200, Jar wrote:
>> Greg KH wrote:
>>> HAL contains a list of these modems and a mapping of each port to what
>>> it does based on the specific device.
>>> Try using that instead of udev specific rules for your accessed to the
>>> modem, it will work much better.
>>
>> Thanks for your reply! Does HAL require that I have desktop installed, this
>> is my home "server" machine without X? Do you have any starting point or
>> where to learn more how to do this with HAL.
>
> I do not think HAL requires X.  Try asking on your distro mailing list
> for how they have incorporated HAL into the releases you are using.

It might get pretty complicated to use D-Bus/HAL for simple setups,
and rather static configurations like this. NetworkManager handles
that, and we will even get modem-probing soon, but in cases like this
it might be easier to have a simple - not very flexible - but working
solution.

Maybe we can have an "index" sysfs file at the serial device, which
carries the instance number, per usb device? This would allow us to
create persistent links which do not depend on the kernel device
enumeration across multiple device.

We did the same for v4l devices recently:
  http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=539a7555b31e65e66fb84c881d07d2bf18c974d0

Greg, what do you think?

Thanks,
Kay