Re: multi-user, udev, consolkit, oh my

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 16:31, Yan Seiner <yan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm working on multi-user setups.
>
> I'd like to be assign some resources - like a USB hub - to a seat and have
> hotplug for that hub work only for that seat.
>
> Currently, what happens is that a user plugs in a camera, and hal reports
> the event.  All of the concurrent gnome-volume-manager instances then try to
> grab that resource, and what results is a mess.
>
> consolekit has been suggested as a way to resolve this, but I can't figure
> out how to use it.

Yes, ConsoleKit/PolicyKit/HAL should be used as the basic
infrastructure to properly assign ACL's to devices for specific users.
ConsoleKit is the only way to track activitty of sessions, which is
what you need for shared devices, to grant access only to active
sessions. But I don't think anybody ever really used multi-seat
setups, so there is likely stuff that needs to be implemented.

> googling around, I've found suggestions for using udev to limit access to
> usb devices by creating a group that only has access to the usb subsystem.
>
> If I want to group some resources and only have those resources on behalf of
> a specific user, and not any other, is there a way to do that?

You can assign an owner or group to all devices below a specific USB
hub. You onlt need to identify the hub reliably.

> Can I set up groups for hotplugging usb devices

You can assign owners/groups to specific devices, based on matches od
properties of the devices, but you can not setup "groups for
hotplugging".

> and set it up so that the event is only reported to specific group members?

There are no user specific events, udev acts at the system level, just
like the kernel, it has no idea who receives which event.

Kay