multi-user, udev, consolkit, oh my

I'm working on multi-user setups.

I'd like to be assign some resources - like a USB hub - to a seat and have hotplug for that hub work only for that seat.

Currently, what happens is that a user plugs in a camera, and hal reports the event. All of the concurrent gnome-volume-manager instances then try to grab that resource, and what results is a mess.

consolekit has been suggested as a way to resolve this, but I can't figure out how to use it.

googling around, I've found suggestions for using udev to limit access to usb devices by creating a group that only has access to the usb subsystem.

If I want to group some resources and only have those resources on behalf of a specific user, and not any other, is there a way to do that? Can I set up groups for hotplugging usb devices and set it up so that the event is only reported to specific group members?

Thanks.,

--Yan