Re: Some rules do not work in udev 131 and 132

On Fri, 2008-11-14 at 18:38 +0200, Mikhail Kolesnik wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 14:04:28 +0100
> "Kay Sievers" <kay.sievers@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > [...]
> > > I've upgraded to 2.6.27.5 and rebuild udev 131 to be sure. Same
> > > symptoms.
> > >
> > > It just tries to readlink /sys/block/sdc entries. May be new udev
> > > expects some more in kernel options enabled? The trace and kernel
> > > config files are attached.
> >
> > We do not read that attribute at all. You run sysfs in the deprecated
> > layout. Any reason for that? Only old distros with new kernels would
> > need that.
>
> I guess I've considered it a safe choice during a kernel upgrade at
> some point.
>
> > The current layout, which all more recent distros use is
> > CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED=n. With the current layout you also get
> > /sys/class/block/, which is much easier to handle for udev. You should
> > see a warning printed from udev to the kernel log (dmesg) when udev
> > starts up.
>
> I was able to unset CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2 from menuconfig, which
> disabled invisible CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED too. Now recent udev
> versions work with my rulesets. Thanks a lot.

I think I fixed it for udev 133, it seems to work fine here now with the
deprecated sysfs layout. Thanks for your help!

Btw, you can remove the NAME="%k", it's the default and does not do
anthing. Instead of the kernel name matches, you can use
ENV{DEVTYPE}=="partition" and ENV{DEVTYPE}=="disk" to distinguish
between a disk and a partition.

And udev by default creates these links, which should be as stable as
your custom links for this device, and not depend on any probing order
or port which is used to connect:
  /dev/disk/by-id/usb-Corsair_Flash_Voyager_A500000000025423-0:0
  /dev/disk/by-id/usb-Corsair_Flash_Voyager_A500000000025423-0:0-part1

They are just a a bit longer. :)

Thanks,
Kay