Re: LifeDrive filsystem probe fails [mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx: Re: LifeDrive and T|X not seen by hal]

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 04:40:43PM +0100, Kay Sievers wrote:
> > Ok. The following things appear to be causing the failure:
> >
> > 1) The FAT signature in bytes 510 and 511 isn't present. This causes the
> > code to bail.
> >
> > 2) The FAT32 signature in the fsinfo block isn't present. This causes
> > the code to bail.
>
> Hmm, we can not really remove these checks, as there are many volumes
> out there which we would detect as FAT, which are not FAT. Most of
> these additional checks only got added after a several reports of
> mis-detection. Even partition tables may get detected as FAT, if we
> remove these checks, without adding new ones.

Mm. Some form of "No, really, it's FAT" option keyed off the USB id?

> > 3) The loop looking for the root dir appears to jump out past the code
> > that sets the filesystem label. This results in it ignoring the UUID
> > and filesystem name.
>
> Is it recognized as FAT, but we jump out of it? Or do we decide that
> it is not FAT at all? Is it something that we can fix?

That's after I patch the signature checks out. The set_label and
set_uuid calls never get made because of the goto found in the loop
looking for the root cluster.

> > You probably need to get in touch with the udev developers to get this
> > fixed - I'm not sure which of these checks could result in false
> > positives unless care is taken. Once libvolume_id is fixed hal should
> > just work.
>
> I guess, someone should try to get Palm to come up with a fix for that
> thing they call FAT. :)

Yeah, good luck with that :)

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx