Re: default udev rules

On Mon, 2008-08-11 at 11:18 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:

> FWIW, if you edit some udev rules then your system will most likely
> break in one way or another. Look at it this way, what do you think
> would happen if a user changed any of these rules
>
>   "KERNEL=="device-mapper", NAME="mapper/control"

If udev rules are intended to be shared amongst all distributions, and
not editable by users, that means device names will be fixed?

(Yay)

But surely that means cases where we need NAME= rules are now better
fixed by fixing the kernel to give it the right name in the first place?

That way udev would need no NAME= rules at all, since the kernel would
set the right ones in the first place.

udev rules would then only set permissions, groups, and the like.

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant
scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx