Re: udev-122 scsi_id

Hi kay,

Kay Sievers wrote:
On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 10:39 PM, John Huttley <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi again,
My foray into tape rules has come to an abrupt halt.
I'm sure scsi_id is more confused that I am.

I'm running it against a scsi attached HP Ultrium-1 drive

gatekeeper by-id # scsi_id --whitelisted --export -d /dev/st2
ID_VENDOR=HP
ID_MODEL=C7438A
ID_REVISION=ZU5A
ID_SERIAL=1HP_C7438A_HU107108XD
ID_SERIAL_SHORT=HP_C7438A_HU107108XD
ID_TYPE=tape

scsi_id is really mangling that serial number!! (short and long)

It's that way since forever. It ensures unique serial numbers, which
is not given across vendors.

Can we not do that please? The short serial number should at least be the 'serial number' as reported by the drive.

Uniqueness is not required, after all we are using ID_VENDOR and ID_MODEL to generate an informative and unique identifier.

Regards,
John

Thanks,
Kay