[Hotplug_sig] sar doesn't show newly onlined CPUs

Bryce Harrington wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 08, 2006 at 03:40:56PM +0200, Sebastien Godard wrote:
>
>> To know exactly how things work, could you please do the following and
>> then send me the various snapshots you got:
>> 0) CPU's 0 and 1 online.
>> 1) Take snapshot #1 of /proc/stat file
>> 2) Disable CPU 1
>> 3) Take snapshot #2 of /proc/stat
>> 4) Wait a few (2-3...) seconds
>> 5) Take snapshot #3 of /proc/stat
>> 6) Enable CPU 1
>> 7) Take snapshot #4 of /proc/stat
>>

> I've done the above for two different systems for comparison.  The
> capture script is also attached.

Thanks a lot. This will be useful for me to know how to update sysstat code.

>> Also could you tell me if there is a specific processor (for example CPU
>> 0) that can *never* be disabled?
>>

> No, but this is architecture dependent.  All systems prevent you from
> offlining ALL cpus, but some (like em64t) restrict offlining cpu0, while
> others (ppc64 for example) simply require that any one cpu remain
> online, and do allow offlining cpu0.

This is a real difficulty...  sar has to compute the interval of time
elapsed since its previous sample, and needs for this a processor that
has never been disabled during this interval of time. So this will be a
limit for sar, which will assume that one cpu (cpu0) can never be disabled.

I'm going to update sysstat in the coming days (or weeks, depending on
the free time I have). I will submit it to you so that you can try it on
your systems.

Regards,

--
Sébastien Godard (sysstat <at> wanadoo.fr)
http://perso.orange.fr/sebastien.godard/