[Hotplug_sig] sar doesn't show newly onlined CPUs

Bryce Harrington wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 07, 2006 at 02:48:15PM +0200, Sebastien Godard wrote:
>
>> No, this is not really intended behavior. In fact sar is just not
>> "hotplug CPU compliant" and has never been tested on such hardwares...
>> Anyway I'm really interested to update it so that it can take into
>> account CPU that get off- or onlined on the fly. But I need to know how
>> files like /proc/stat for example are changed when a CPU is offlined or
>> onlined. I would appreciate to get some info about that.
>>

> Sure, I've attached two snapshots of /proc/stat, one with both cpu's
> enabled, and one after a cpu has been disabled.  This is on the EM64t
> x86_64 machine.

Thanks.
To know exactly how things work, could you please do the following and
then send me the various snapshots you got:
0) CPU's 0 and 1 online.
1) Take snapshot #1 of /proc/stat file
2) Disable CPU 1
3) Take snapshot #2 of /proc/stat
4) Wait a few (2-3...) seconds
5) Take snapshot #3 of /proc/stat
6) Enable CPU 1
7) Take snapshot #4 of /proc/stat

Also could you tell me if there is a specific processor (for example CPU
0) that can *never* be disabled?
(Indeed sar needs such a processor to compute the interval of time
between two samples.)

Regards,

--
Sébastien Godard (sysstat <at> wanadoo.fr)
http://perso.orange.fr/sebastien.godard/