[Hotplug_sig] Re: Hotplug CPU issue?

On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 09:59:18AM -0700, Mary Edie Meredith wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-05-02 at 07:50 -0700, Raj, Ashok wrote:
> > Yes, cpu0 was not offlineable since inception. (both in x86 and x86_64)
> > due to certain other dependencies that would need more cleanup in kernel
> > code.
> >
> > Even though you had an online file earlier, its was a no-op.. basically
> > when you echo 1 to offline to cpu0, we just returned error and did
> > nothing.
>
> So that means that an implementation _can have an online file, even
> though the corresponding cpu is not able to offline.  Sounds like having
> an online file in sysfs isn't a sure indication of an "off-lineable" cpu
> after all.

Well, possibly, unless that situation is considered a bug.

Mary, have you seen any sort of specification for the cpu hotplug design
that indicates when the online file should/shouldn't be present, or
anything regarding for a given architecture, how to determine what cpu's
can be onlined/offlined?

Bryce