[Hotplug_sig] Re: hotplug testing

On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 05:50:49PM -0500, Linda Xie wrote:

> Hi Bryce,
>
> I am running lhcs_regression-1.1 on my Power 5 partition. The partition is
> booted with 2 cpus: cpu0 and cpu1
> (cpu0/online =1 and cpu1/online =1):
>
> When CPU_TO_TEST is set to 1, I get the following results:

Do you mean set to 0 here?

> beta:/home/HOTPLUG-CPU-OSDL/lhcs_regression-1.1 # grep PASS output3
> hotplug01:   PASS: Loops left 1
> hotplug04      PASS: Could not shutdown cpu0
> hotplug06.top    PASS: PID 13291 still running.
> hotplug06.sar     PASS: CPU was found after turned on.
>
> beta:/home/HOTPLUG-CPU-OSDL/lhcs_regression-1.1 # grep FAIL output3
> hotplug02     FAIL: process did not change from CPU   0
> hotplug03     FAIL:  CPU0 cannot be offlined
>
> When CPU_TO_TEST is set to 1, I get the following results:
>
> beta:/home/HOTPLUG-CPU-OSDL/lhcs_regression-1.1 # grep PASS output2
> hotplug01:   PASS: Loops left 1
> hotplug02     PASS - turned off CPU 1, process migrated to CPU   0
> hotplug03    PASS: do_spin_loop found on CPU1
> hotplug04      PASS: Could not shutdown cpu0
> hotplug06.top    PASS: PID 12170 still running.
>
> beta:/home/HOTPLUG-CPU-OSDL/lhcs_regression-1.1 # grep FAIL output2
> hotplug06.sar    FAIL: CPU1 Not Found on SAR!
>
> So it seems that CPU_TO_TEST in runtests.sh should be set to 1 (not 0), Am
> I right?

Some architectures do not allow CPU0 to be offlined, in which case the
test should return results such as what you've seen.

> And why hotplug06.sar passed when CPU_TO_TESTis set to 0 and failed when
> CPU_TO_TESTis set to 1?

Hmm, this does seem odd.  Perhaps the sar output is different on your
platform.  Try this:

1.  Offline cpu1
2.  sar -P ALL 1 0 > /tmp/log &
3.  cat /tmp/log | grep -i nan

sar should be outputting 'nan' for the offlined cpu.  If not, then
there is an issue with sar.

Bryce