[Hotplug_sig] Minutes for Hotplug SIG con call 10/25/05

Summary list of ARs from this meeting:

AR for Joel (repost): Find out if IBM is willing to share their user
memory remove tests and in what time frame.

AR for Mary:
1. Update the memory hotplug testing plan to include Christoph's
suggestions.

2. Send mail to lhcs mailing list regarding content of /proc after CPU
is brought back online.

3. Find the person that originally communicated w/ Bryce on that subject
and ask him/her to validate the script.

AR for Martine:
1. Contact Ric Wheeler from EMC to get the right VMware contact.

2. Send a reminder mail to DCL TWG that it is important to get the
memory patches reviewed immediately (as pointed out in the hotplug
report - almost yellow item).

Attendees:
Mary Edie Meredith, OSDL
Bryce Harrington, OSDL
Bruce Vessey, Unisys
George Mann, Indivual Contributor
Martine Silbermann, HP

	* Report from Joint Initiative Face 2 Face in Beijing
Martine gave an update on the SIG's activities to the technical Working
Group. The slides presented are in the attachment.

There were a few comments and suggestions from the participants:
	* address/involve the consumer product people like VMware that
might be interested in participating in the hotplug memory effort since
currently they need to shut the image down if they want to add/remove
memory.

AR for Martine: Contact Ric Wheeler from EMC to get the right VMware
contact.

	* address the desktop and/or laptop communities. The
infrastructure of the hotplug IO could be tested at a much higher rate
by a much bigger number of users. The SIG involvement in hotplug IO has
been minimal due to lack of resources and interest in participation from
that community. However getting those communities involved whenever
possible to test different features is an excellent suggestion.

	* someone from the DCL TWG (Technical Working Group) brought up
the question of relevance of hotplug now that virtualization is becoming
more common and that we have the option to migrate VMs to allow the hw
to be freed up and serviced. The consensus was that the software part of
hotplug is still needed to handle VM operations. We might want to point
out in the use case relative to reliability this specific scenario.

	* Memory hotplug common regressions - testing plan.
Martine contacted Christoph Lameter to ask about tests/scripts for
memory fragmentation. He suggested adding page migration testing to the
test suite (it's unclear at this point whether he offered to share some
existing tests or asked if we could develop some on the subject). He
also suggested that it would be helpful to have some tests that show
where the memory is ending up after the memory migration (i.e are the
mems_allowed of processes obeyed?).

AR for Mary: update the memory hotplug testing plan to include
Christoph's suggestions.

	* Update on memory hotplug patches.
Joel couldn't attend the meeting but sent in an update on the memory
patches:

Memory hot add - still in mm, still expect it to go in 2.6.15

Fragmentation avoidance - expect a revised set of patches this week, we
really need to push for quick acceptance of these patches in order to
get them into distro enterprise releases, which we expect to base on
2.6.15.  If the patches can't go into 2.6.15, which is very probable, we
at least need to have them in -mm to have a shot at distros picking them
up from there, or backporting them from 2.6.16.

Memory Migration - Christoph Lamenter from SGI is pushing these.  There
is a series of 7 patches we are submitting to go into -mm.  The same
distro considerations apply to these as to fragmentation avoidance.

He made a plea again to have as many developers as possible from all
OSDL member companies who have an interest in memory hotplug succeeding
make sure their developers comment on these two patch sets over the next
3 weeks.

AR for Martine: Send a reminder mail to DCL TWG that it is important to
get the memory patches reviewed immediately (as pointed out in the
hotplug report - almost yellow item).

	* Last meeting's ARs.
Regarding the value in of /proc for the number of interrupts handled by
a given CPU after that CPU has been offlined then onlined, we need to
contact the CPU hotplug community to report the problem.

AR for Mary: Send mail to lhcs mailing list regarding content of /proc
after CPU is brought back online.

	* Others.
Bryce being the only person at OSDL currently working on writing scripts
for the memory regression testing the question of asking for more
resources came up. He's still working on trying to resolve the issue of
being able to automatically revert to booting a known good kernel
if/when the current kernel doesn't boot on ppc64.
It was suggested that we start by writing a script for memory-add; as
mentioned in previous meetings the idea would be to boot the kernel w/
less memory than available then to add the memory and test that the
added memory is present and usable.

Bryce and Mary feel that the script for test case 1 for CPU regression
testing might not be adequate, we need to get feedback on the validity
of that test from the CPU community.

AR for Mary: find the person that originally communicated w/ Bryce on
that subject and ask him/her to validate the script.

Next meeting is scheduled for November 8th at 11:00am -12:00pm PST,
2:00pm - 3:00pm EST.

Thanks for your participation.
Martine J. Silbermann