[Hotplug_sig] Re: Use case on "Hotplug for Virtualization"

On Mon, 2005-08-29 at 22:24 -0700, Zachary Amsden wrote:
> Silbermann, Martine wrote:
>
> >The latest draft of the Use Case on Hotplug for Virtualization is posted
> >at:
> >http://www.developer.osdl.org/maryedie/HOTPLUG/docs/Hotplug_virtual_use_
> >case.txt
> >
> >It can also be accessed from the hotplug use cases page:
> >http://developer.osdl.org/dev/usecases/hotplug.shtml
> >
> >Please remember to share your comments/errata/suggestions.
> >
> >Thanks - Martine
> >

> >-------------------------
> >1.Serviceability (hotplug at physical layer)
> >-------------------------
> >In this sub-case the System Administrator needs the ability to
> >remove/replace failing components.
> >Unfortunately, CPU failures  tend to be fatal and usually don't give
> >any warning. Fortunately, they're also very infrequent. Because they
> >are usually fatal, it's likely that you won't be looking at a
> >hot-remove scenario.(Though, if you have a processor failure and
> >remove it while the system is down, the System Administrator needs
> >the option to reboot immediately and hot-add the replacement). In
> >contrast, memory and I/O often give adequate warning, via single-bit
> >or parity errors, that they're failing; thus providing an opportunity
> >to have them replaced before they cause a system failure.
>

> I'm not sure I totally agree with this.  I like the capacity, migration,
> and virtualization motivations a lot.  First, CPU failures are not
> always fatal; in a NUMA, blade or block systems, CPU failures could
> potentially be tolerated for single nodes without disrupting the entire

Good point, I'll correct that.

> system.  Second, I'm not 100% convinced that memory failures are any
> more predictable based on parity errors than CPU failures - it could
> simply be solar radiation.  I'm also less convinced that memory is more
> easily replaced in a hotplug fashion than CPUs - you have similar
> migration issues, plus a lot of nasty global TLB issues (not to mention
> electrical problems!).  I confess to be not thoroughly studied on very

Yes the detection of a potential problem for memory may be easier but I
didn't mean to imply that doing the hotplug of memory is. I'll make sure
to reword that.

> recent systems in these respects.  Nevertheless, your point is valid; I
> simply think it could use more convincing arguments.
>
> That said, I think everyone on these lists probably agrees with the
> usage cases. :)

Thanks so much for your input, I'll post the changed version soon.