[Hotplug_sig] Re: Use case on "Hotplug for Virtualization"

Silbermann, Martine wrote:

>The latest draft of the Use Case on Hotplug for Virtualization is posted
>at:
>http://www.developer.osdl.org/maryedie/HOTPLUG/docs/Hotplug_virtual_use_
>case.txt
>
>It can also be accessed from the hotplug use cases page:
>http://developer.osdl.org/dev/usecases/hotplug.shtml
>
>Please remember to share your comments/errata/suggestions.
>
>Thanks - Martine
>

>-------------------------
>1.Serviceability (hotplug at physical layer)
>-------------------------
>In this sub-case the System Administrator needs the ability to
>remove/replace failing components.
>Unfortunately, CPU failures  tend to be fatal and usually don't give
>any warning. Fortunately, they're also very infrequent. Because they
>are usually fatal, it's likely that you won't be looking at a
>hot-remove scenario.(Though, if you have a processor failure and
>remove it while the system is down, the System Administrator needs
>the option to reboot immediately and hot-add the replacement). In
>contrast, memory and I/O often give adequate warning, via single-bit
>or parity errors, that they're failing; thus providing an opportunity
>to have them replaced before they cause a system failure.

I'm not sure I totally agree with this.  I like the capacity, migration,
and virtualization motivations a lot.  First, CPU failures are not
always fatal; in a NUMA, blade or block systems, CPU failures could
potentially be tolerated for single nodes without disrupting the entire
system.  Second, I'm not 100% convinced that memory failures are any
more predictable based on parity errors than CPU failures - it could
simply be solar radiation.  I'm also less convinced that memory is more
easily replaced in a hotplug fashion than CPUs - you have similar
migration issues, plus a lot of nasty global TLB issues (not to mention
electrical problems!).  I confess to be not thoroughly studied on very
recent systems in these respects.  Nevertheless, your point is valid; I
simply think it could use more convincing arguments.

That said, I think everyone on these lists probably agrees with the
usage cases. :)

Zach