[Hotplug_sig] Re: Use case on Dynamic Partitioning

Hi, Martine,

On Mon, 2 May 2005, Silbermann, Martine wrote:

> [...]
> Thank you very much for offering to participate in our group and
> volunteering to start writing a use case on Dynamic Partitioning. I'm
> looking forward to our collaboration.

Mary and I discussed my potential involvement in documenting use cases in
general and more specifically in the area of on-demand/utility
computing.  If Dynamic Partitioning is a topic of current interest then I
would be happy to use this as a concrete entry point.

> When we discussed the Dynamic Partitioning use case in our con call
> "Instant Capacity on Demand" came up as a subcase and I recall you
> mentioning "Virtualization" as well in one of your e-mails. To avoid
> overlap with the Virtualization use case would it be possible for you to
> provide us with an outline for the Dynamic Partitioning use case. BTW if

Within a generic framework for "Instant Capacity on Demand" a strong case
could be made for considering Virtualization as a sublayer in a solution
stack.  If you concur with this conception, then I could submit an outline
for Dynamic Partitioning which would mesh with Virtualization.

> you have a strong interest in virtualization I'd also encourage you to
> participate in the use case on that subject (I'm not sure how much time
> you can invest in OSDL/Hotplug SIG).
> [...]
My activities would have to sync with the efforts by the Hotplug SIG in
any event.  Let me set up an outline for Dynamic Partitioning first and we
can then judge how far this protrudes into the Hotplug domain.

				Cordially yours,

				Silvester Claassen

P.S.  I am currently not subscribed to the Hotplug mailing list.