[Hotplug_sig] Re: [Lhms-devel] 2.6.12-rc1-mhp1

Dave Hansen wrote:	[Wed Mar 23 2005, 09:04:33PM EST]
> I'd appreciate looks at any of the patches leading up to and including
> all of the B-sparse ones.  I want to push those into -mm any day now.
>
> Changes since 2.6.11-bk7-mhp1:
> - .configs and compile testing for alpha and arm
> - mm/Kconfig for *EVERYBODY*
> - user ARCH_ENABLE_DISCONTIGMEM instead of DISCONTIGMEM in all arch
>   Kconfig files and defconfigs
> - CONFIG_NEED_MULTIPLE_NODES to separate out DISCONTIG from NUMA
>   (we need NUMA for SPARSE, but not DISCONTIG)
> - MAP_IMMOVABLE for alpha and arm
> - CONFIG_ARCH_HAS_BOOTPA - created for i386, ia64, x86_64
>   Otherwise, we can't use __boot_pa() in linux/bootmem.h
>
> Everything up to sparsemem compiles and works on all of the
> architectures.  Somewhere after that, ppc64 breaks.  I'm done debugging
> build problems for the day, so I'd appreciate if one of you folks could
> figure it out.  It's probably a CONFIG_{NUMA,DISCONTIGMEM} problem.
> Once that's fixed up, I can release another one of these quickly.
>
> http://www.sr71.net/patches/2.6.12/2.6.12-rc1-mhp1/
> http://www.sr71.net/patches/2.6.12/2.6.12-rc1-mhp1/patch-2.6.12-rc1-mhp1.gz
>
> -- Dave

Dave,

The broken-out-2.6.12-rc1-mhp1.tar.gz appears to have some problems.  The
first quilt push -a reject is B-sparse-160-sparsemem-i386.patch. The composite
patch also has an issue with arch/i386/mm/discontig.c.  The reject is
appended below.

bob

***************
*** 42,55 ****
   *                  populated the following initialisation.
   *
   * 1) node_online_map  - the map of all nodes configured (online) in the system
-  * 2) physnode_map     - the mapping between a pfn and owning node
-  * 3) node_start_pfn   - the starting page frame number for a node
   * 3) node_end_pfn     - the ending page fram number for a node
   */
  unsigned long node_start_pfn[MAX_NUMNODES];
  unsigned long node_end_pfn[MAX_NUMNODES];

  /*
   * physnode_map keeps track of the physical memory layout of a generic
   * numa node on a 256Mb break (each element of the array will
   * represent 256Mb of memory and will be marked by the node id.  so,
--- 42,58 ----
   *                  populated the following initialisation.
   *
   * 1) node_online_map  - the map of all nodes configured (online) in the system
+  * 2) node_start_pfn   - the starting page frame number for a node
   * 3) node_end_pfn     - the ending page fram number for a node
   */
  unsigned long node_start_pfn[MAX_NUMNODES];
  unsigned long node_end_pfn[MAX_NUMNODES];

+ #ifdef CONFIG_DISCONTIGMEM
+ /* XXX: this chunk is really the correct contents of discontig.c */
+
  /*
+  * 4) physnode_map     - the mapping between a pfn and owning node