[Hotplug_sig] Re: [Lhms-devel] 2.6.10-rc2-mm4-mhp1

On Fri, 2004-12-10 at 09:12, Dave Hansen wrote:
> As for the aioalloc oops, I have been able to recreate it, and I'm
> working on it now.

OK, I think I found it.  When I online()'d section 29, it happened to
online the ACPI memory area.  This was bad when memory started being
allocated to and written in there.  I've added a page_is_ram() check to
the online routines, and added a check for PageReserved() in the removal
code to work around this.

But, I'm not convinced that this is without problems.  If a driver (or
anybody else) allocates some removable memory and marks it reserved, the
remove operation could complete without it being notice that that
particular memory hasn't been properly freed up.

Also, I'm not sure that everybody has that page_is_ram() function.  It
looks like x86 and ppc64 are OK, but I'll have to make sure.  We'll also
have to make sure that we can use it at runtime.  I know that the "real"
memory hotplug systems aren't supposed to update their e820 tables after
boot, so this page_is_ram() check won't work for any of those.

Matt, do the efi tables get updated properly for this to work for you?

-- Dave