Re: 802.11r not working

On 24/09/2020 05:10, Dennis Bland wrote:
Regarding hostapd with OpenWRT:  Normally you would include hostapd
with OpenWRT, as it's an AP platform.  If you only want the 802.1X
authentication functionality of OpenWRT, is there a reason why you
wouldn't simply use FreeRADIUS as your authentication server?

I am trying to standardise by using OpenWrt for routing traffic around the house so that I can switch hardware and upgrade relatively easily. I am using FreeRADIUS under OpenWrt as the authentication server but as I have something more powerful (and reliable) than a cheap AP I have move the FreeRADIUS onto it. The problem with something like an Archer A7 or C7 is that if you use SQM it is relatively limited in terms of throughput. I have an Armor Z2 which should be better, but it crashes at least once a week for no obvious or consistent reason, whereas when I run OpenWrt on x86 it is completely reliable and never falls over. In the next couple of weeks I expect to be moving onto fibre running at 1000/200 so the x86 will offer the throughput I am looking for as well as being the most reliable option. Using an AP with WiFi hardware and running hostapd as the platform for my FreeRadius server might hide this issue, but it does appear to be a bug.

If you are observing STA action frames being forwarded from the
currently-associated AP to the virtual OpenWRT node, then the STA
considers the virtual OpenWRT to be a valid roam target.  Or those
frames are actually encapsulated EAP over RADIUS packets to perform a
full STA reauthentication during a (non-802.11r) roam.

Except that I believe EAPOL traffic should be sent using an ethernet 888E packet, not an 890D which is specifically for the use of 802.11r. I started out filtering my tcpdump for 890D packets precisely because they are the packet type used for 802.11r and I expected to see a brief handshake between my mobile device and the routers which isn't showing up.

Thanks,
Michael