Re: How to debug my wpa_supplicant connection ?

On Sun, Mar 01, 2020 at 06:08:28PM +0100, Pierre Couderc wrote:
> On 3/1/20 4:03 PM, Jouni Malinen wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 01, 2020 at 09:10:51AM +0100, Pierre Couderc wrote:
> > > The point is that "couderc" is selected  instead of "TPLINK_2872" (the 1rst
> > > in /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant-wlp1s0.conf)
> > > .
> > Do the configured network profiles have different priority setting? Do
> > they have different security parameters?
>
> Sorry, I am a beginner, I suppose that a "network profile" is an entry
> etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant-wlp1s0.conf.

Yes, one of the network={...} blocks.

> No, I have not found in the man how to set a priority, I did suppose it was
> the order in .conf.

I was referring to the priority field within a network block. This is
the way this is documented in wpa_supplicant.conf:

# priority: priority group (integer)
# By default, all networks will get same priority group (0). If some of the
# networks are more desirable, this field can be used to change the order in
# which wpa_supplicant goes through the networks when selecting a BSS. The
# priority groups will be iterated in decreasing priority (i.e., the larger the
# priority value, the sooner the network is matched against the scan results).
# Within each priority group, networks will be selected based on security
# policy, signal strength, etc.

> Yes, the wanted hotspot (including TPLINK_2872) have :
>
>  key_mgmt=NONE
> and less desired network profile have entries  as defined by wpa_passphrase.

By default, wpa_supplicant prefers networks with security enabled. If
you want to override that default behavior, you can add an explicit
priority=1 (etc. higher value) into the open network profile.