socket interface

I was curious what people's thoughts were regarding the current wpa_supplicant/hostapd domain socket interface. It seems to me that it was built primarily to support cli interaction which sends/receives strings.  I'm not a big fan of that approach.

I have been thinking that it would be better if both wpa_supplicant and hostapd  supported a more structured command/control interface that made it easier to write code against. This could be something like onc/rpc or something more modern that would work easily with multiple programming languages.

If this is something that people think is valuable? I'd like to discuss some approaches to doing this and then start hacking.

Thanks
Jake