Re: udev/systemd persistent mac addresses interfere with P2P operation

On 24/09/2019 19:00, Benjamin Berg wrote:
I was looking into some test failures we were seeing recently for the
NetworkManager P2P tests. As it turns out, these tests fail because
there is a mismatch in the BSSID that the P2P client expects from the
P2P GO.

The reason for this mismatch is that udev changes the MAC address of
the p2p device that wpa_supplicant creates when it becomes group owner.
wpa_supplicant reports the MAC as assigned by the kernel, then udev
modifies it. At that point we have a mismatch between the MAC that the
GO is operating on and the one that was reported to the client earlier
and the client ends up ignoring all probe responses.

I have opened an upstream systemd issue about this
and it seems like they are saying that wpa_supplicant should make sure
it waits for udev to be done. I guess this would require that
wpa_supplicant uses libudev to wait for the ADD event from udev before
trying to do anything with the newly created interface.

Any thoughts? Should wpa_supplicant be fixed to wait for udev?

Probably.

dhcpcd waits for it, but mainly for interface name changes.
Code is here for reference:
https://roy.marples.name/cgit/dhcpcd.git/tree/src/dev/udev.c

Roy