Re: Emulate wpa_psk_file functionality using RADIUS?

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 05:05:12PM +0200, Jan Ceuleers wrote:
> I have been using wpa_psk_file functionality in hostapd for a long time,
> and I have lots of devices configured with their own (MAC-specific) PSKs.
>
> I now have another AP that does not support such functionality directly
> (it does not run hostapd), but it does support RADIUS.
>
> I was wondering whether it is possible, without reconfiguring any of the
> STAs, to migrate these MAC/PSK pairs to a RADIUS server and have both my
> hostapd-running and the non-hostapd-running APs use that RADIUS server
> for authentication.

I'd expect those stations to be currently configured to use
WPA2-Personal (PSK).

> (I see that the proprietary AP supports RADIUS in WPA2-Enterprise mode,
> not in WPA2-PSK mode. What I don't know is whether this affects the
> over-the-air protocol as well in case the STA's identifier is its MAC
> address rather than some other piece of information which the STA needs
> to transmit to the AP).

While the other AP would be using WPA2-Enterprise (EAP). For this to
work, the stations would need to be configured to allow WPA2-Enterprise
to be used. While it may be possible to configure a station to connect
to either of those APs once determining which EAP method is used here, I
doubt any of the STAs would have been configured in such manner
previously. In other words, it sounds very unlikely that this would work
without reconfiguring every station.