Re: DBUS support in hostapd

On May 2, 2019, at 8:12 AM, Joakim Lotsengård <joakim.lotsengard@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Sadly this is not possible for us. We have limited RAM, CPU and flash.

  RADIUS servers can be stripped down to be pretty tiny.  You can strip down FreeRADIUS v2 to be ~200K of binaries, and tiny amounts of RAM.

> We also do not want to introduce yet another server/daemon that holds a
> state which may become unsynchronized.

  RADIUS servers don't maintain state.  They put state into a database.  You control which database (sqlite, flat files, etc.)

  RADIUS servers *do* provide a standard and well understood way to solve the issues you're seeing.

> Yet another daemon for systemd to
> handle. This is why we use the PSK-file of hostapd today. It is simple
> and uses small amount of resources. We don't have a problem with the
> PSK-file, only the control interface socket to get which stations was
> authenticated.

  Given that this functionality doesn't already exist, I would suggest it's a very unusual edge case.

  Alan DeKok.