Re: VHT mac80211_hwsim + hostapd

On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 3:41 AM James Prestwood
<james.prestwood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 2019-02-08 at 12:08 -0800, James Prestwood wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am trying to create a VHT capable radio with mac80211_hwsim, to be
> > used with hostapd. I have tried a few configs in
> > tests/hwsim/test_ap_vht.py but all that I have tried result in
> > hostapd
> > complaining about the channel e.g.
> >
> > Channel 36 (primary) not allowed for AP mode, flags: 0x853 NO-IR
> > wln2: IEEE 802.11 Configured channel (36) not found from the channel
> > list of current mode (2) IEEE 802.11a
> > wln2: IEEE 802.11 Hardware does not support configured channel
> >
> > I have tried a few channels, none of which work. This makes me think
> > it
> > has to do with how I am creating the radio with mac80211_hwsim. I'm
> > just creating an essentially 'default' radio (no special attributes).
> > I've looked through the hwsim driver code and it appears that all
> > radios created set some VHT capability bits (the for loop iterating
> > over NUM_NL80211_BANDS) so any hwsim radio should support VHT
> > (right?).
> > None of the HWSIM_ATTR's seem to point anything related to VHT
> > either.
> >
> > Here is (one of) the config I've tried:
> >
> > ssid=testSSID
> > country_code=DE
> > hw_mode=a
> > channel=36
> > ieee80211n=1
> > ieee80211ac=1
> > vht_oper_chwidth=0
> > vht_oper_centr_freq_seg0_idx=0
> > supported_rates=60 120 240 360 480 540
> > require_vht=1
> >
> > Thanks,
> > James
>
> I still have not resolved this, though I have a bit more info that
> hopefully someone can make use of. (Thanks to Johannes) I believe this
> issue has to do with the regulatory domain. In my VM, if I run "iw reg
> get" I see that my country is set to '00'. This country code seems to
> restrict the VHT channels. I tried changing this with "iw reg set US",
> but this does not actually result in the country changing (also a
> common-ish problem I have found online). I have noticed a few things
> after looking closer at the logs:
>
> Kernel Boot:
> [    0.393391] cfg80211: Loading compiled-in X.509 certificates for
> regulatory database
> [    0.394742] cfg80211: Loaded X.509 cert 'sforshee:
> 00b28ddf47aef9cea7'
> [    0.395648] platform regulatory.0: Direct firmware load for
> regulatory.db failed with error -2
> [    0.396819] cfg80211: failed to load regulatory.db

Without this database we cannot configure reg domains. Can you try
copyng regulatory.db from
https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/pub/software/network/wireless-regdb/
in to /lib/firmware/?

Then you should see the above failure should be resolved.

> I also see hostapd trying to change the country code (since I set it in
> the config):
> Previous country code 00, new country code US
> Continue interface setup after channel list update
>
> But soon after:
> Channel list update timeout - try to continue anyway
>
> So it appears to be either cfg80211 or mac80211_hwsim that is
> restricting the channels hostapd is allowed to use. I see in
> mac80211_hwsim there is an attribute HWSIM_ATTR_REG_HINT_ALPHA2.
> I have tried using that, setting to "US", but this does not result in
> the VM's country code changing (either from boot or after iw reg set
> US).
>
> I have tried also running the hostapd hwsim tests directly following:
> https://w1.fi/cgit/hostap/plain/tests/hwsim/vm/example-vm-setup.txt
>
> But after ./vm-run.sh all I get is wpa_supplicant usage prints (as if
> it was being started with invalid arguments or something) and:
> Failed to connect to wpa_supplicant global interface: /tmp/wpas-
> wlan0  error: No such file or directory
>
> Should it be this hard to use VHT in hostapd?
>
> Thanks,
> James

Thanks,
Regards,