Re: [RFC 0/2] AP: make wpa_psk_file more dynamic

On Mon, Jan 07, 2019 at 10:01:44AM +0100, Michał Kazior wrote:
> I don't really have a strong case for using PMK other than its just
> convenient and straightforward.
>
> I'm mostly okay with a key identifier though. I'll rework it and re-spin.

Thanks.

> Does space-separated key=value list (with = being forbidden in
> key/value strings) sound good? Or do you see the need for escaping to
> allow expressing these characters? And if so, do you have any
> preference about for escaping logic?

I think it's fine to keep this simpler and not require escaping some
characters.

> > The use case I'm mostly thinking about here is an extension of this to
> > allow VLAN binding based on the "keyid", e.g., in the form of VLAN ID or
> > a netdev ifname.
>
> You mean to have something like `keyid=pwd0 vlan_ifname=wlan0sta1
> vlan_bridge=br2 00:11:22:33:44:55 secretpassphrase`? That would
> technically make sense even without wpa, wouldn't it? It sounds like a
> more generic attribute list with flexible matching. Maybe kind of like
> udev rules. Not sure if it's worth making it that complex though.

I'm not sure I thought about hostapd handling that internally, but
rather, having some external component look for the events and assign
parameters to STA filtering/routing/etc. based on the "keyid" values
which might actually be shared by multiple keys, so it is would be more
of a group rather than an identifier of a specific key. No need to make
this any more complex than the currently identified real use cases
require, though. vlan ifname/bridge is already available through other
means, so this should probably not try to override those with a
completely different mechanism (if someone is interested in extending
hostapd to do these VLAN configurations internally based on the used
PSK or "keyid" group).