Re: [RFC 0/2] AP: make wpa_psk_file more dynamic

On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 at 23:59, Jouni Malinen <j@xxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 10:42:03PM +0100, Michal Kazior wrote:
> > This has been prompted by the thread on the mailing list
> > "dynamically added/removed PSKs without MAC pairing".
>
> > I guess it's a little iffy to expose PMK in cli/logs. I was
> > considering using explicit tags/aliases in wpa_psk_file in
> > the format of `tag mac psk`, e.g.
> >
> >  tag_1 00:00:00:00:00:00 secretpassword
> >  tag_2 00:00:00:00:00:00 different111
> >
> > But asked myself if it's really more secure or is it just
> > unnecessarily complex. FWIW The tag could be made optional
> > so old wpa_psk_file format would remain working with no
> > changes. Thoughts?
>
> I don't think we should be exposing the PSK/PMK/passphrase over the
> control interface (or accidentally in any debug log dumping control
> interface commands/events). The use case here does not seem to have any
> use for the particular PSK value, i.e., it depends on only knowing some
> identifier for the particular key. As such, I'd go with a key
> identifier. That could be added as an optional part before the MAC
> address to maintain backwards compatibility of the file format (with the
> old no-identifier versions not getting the new events/exposure through
> STA command). E.g., "keyid=foo 02:00:00:00:00:00 password".

I don't really have a strong case for using PMK other than its just
convenient and straightforward.

I'm mostly okay with a key identifier though. I'll rework it and re-spin.

Does space-separated key=value list (with = being forbidden in
key/value strings) sound good? Or do you see the need for escaping to
allow expressing these characters? And if so, do you have any
preference about for escaping logic?

> >   AP: keep track and expose WPA-PSK PMK info of each station
>
> As noted above, I'd like to see changes in this design.
>
> >   AP: add wpa_psk_file reloading in runtime
>
> This makes mostly sense, but this could get more complex if the key
> identifier is added and it is used for grouping devices. In such a case,
> moving a device from one group (keyid) to another could be a dynamic
> change that occurs when reloading the file. It might make most sense to
> disconnect the station in such a case if the keyid ("group") changes
> even though when the PSK/passphrase would still remain in the file.
>
> The use case I'm mostly thinking about here is an extension of this to
> allow VLAN binding based on the "keyid", e.g., in the form of VLAN ID or
> a netdev ifname.

You mean to have something like `keyid=pwd0 vlan_ifname=wlan0sta1
vlan_bridge=br2 00:11:22:33:44:55 secretpassphrase`? That would
technically make sense even without wpa, wouldn't it? It sounds like a
more generic attribute list with flexible matching. Maybe kind of like
udev rules. Not sure if it's worth making it that complex though.

Michał