Re: beacon_int default value prevents use of driver default

On Sun, Jan 06, 2019 at 08:17:05AM -0800, Justin Capella wrote:
> If i'm not mistaken
> https://w1.fi/cgit/hostap/commit/?id=18206e02c540f0a379db507b4ecc22c8855c7acf
> disabled the ability to leave the beacon interval as-is / use the
> driver default.

No, it did not. It actually made this configurable in cases where
wpa_supplicant is used to control AP mode operation. Prior to this
change, the hardcoded default beacon_int=100 from hostapd code was used
for all cases.

> When attempting to run a card in sta/ap mode I ran into a problem
> where the ap would not start, failing to set the beacon interval.
>
> The card was already connected as a station, and presumably was using
> a different beacon interval, and looking at "iw phy" one of my
> available modes:
>
>    total <= 2, #channels <= 1, STA/AP BI must match
>
> From cfg80211:
>  * @beacon_int_infra_match: In this combination, the beacon intervals
>  *  between infrastructure and AP types must match. This is required
>  *  only in special cases.

I guess hostapd/wpa_supplicant could try to detect this type of
constraints and decide to use the beacon interval from a station virtual
interface if there is one and the configuration profile does not specify
a specific value to be used.

> From: nl80211 / hostapd-2.3/src/drivers/driver.h:
> * beacon_int - Beacon interval for IBSS or 0 to use driver default

That is for IBSS, not AP mode.

> If not reverting this implicit behavior, perhaps could there be a way
> to explicitly use the already set beacon interval?

There is nothing to revert here.. With nl80211, there is not even a
concept of "as-is or default driver beacon interval". The nl80211
command to start AP mode requires a specific Beacon interval to be set.

Like I noted above, it might be possible to iterate over all virtual
interfaces to find the currently used Beacon interval value and try to
use that when bringing up the AP. That said, it is not clear that this
would be generic enough solution since the station interface might want
to roam to another AP that uses a different beacon interval.. Some logic
and configurable policy would likely be needed to determine what to do
in such case (reject roaming vs. stop and restart AP with different
beacon interval). Anyway, that would likely needed for updating channel
as well in roaming cases.