Re: hostapd does not issue EAP Identify challenge

On Sat, 3 Feb 2018, Jouni Malinen wrote:

On Thu, Feb 01, 2018 at 05:33:06PM -0600, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
Under Linux (a MIPS-based router/bridge device), I am using hostapd with the
'wired' driver (no Wi-Fi support included) and am encountering the issue
that while authentication is successful if the supplicant issues an
unsolicited identity request (e.g. due to unplug/plug the Ethernet cable),
hostapd does not itself initiate authentication by periodically transmitting
EAP-Request Identity frames (to address 01:80:C2:00:00:03) after being
started.

There is no support within hostapd to initiate EAPOL authentication with
the 'wired' driver, i.e., getting something like this working would
depend on external components detecting a port change (cable plugged in)
or some other triggers for initiating.

We can implement that in hostapd based on the environment we are running it in, just as we externally implemented data-path control based on successful authentication.

Can you suggest a place in the code to add detection of port change or adding a trigger to get EAPOL initiated? Is this an optional driver feature which is simply lacking for the wired driver but implemented in other drivers?

Thanks,

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn