Re: Hail status and update (was Re: Question about hail)

Hi,

 Thank you for your mail, Pete and Jeff :)
 And also late to reply since tons of task and mail makes me busy (and a bit sick).

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 14:47:38 -0500
Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Q: Is this project is still alive? if so, where is the current main site.
> >     Could you tell me the status, please?
>
> The main site for source code is currently github.
>
> 	https://github.com/jgarzik/hail
> 	https://github.com/jgarzik/tabled
> 	https://github.com/jgarzik/itd
> 	https://github.com/jgarzik/nfs4d

 okay.

> Hail was collateral damage in a kernel.org hack.  No data was lost or
> compromised, but it took kernel.org months to recover even basic account
> services and git access.  wikis took months longer after that.  I'm
> still waiting to see if anybody has an archive of old tarballs, because
> k.org was my canonical upstream storage location, with zero local ones.

 Hmm, I've expected it due to kernel.org compromise issue, terrible.

 Are kernel.org administrators still working? I know that restoring services
 and accounts are not easy task, and they also need to harden their system,
 but took _months_ is not usual... maybe ping to them is good.

 I've asked ftpadmin@ about hail archive before ask to you since it's
 described in top page, but got no reply :-(

> The tarballs can conceivably be recovered by checking out a git tag,
> re-running autogen.sh, and then "make dist"... but with
> autoconf/automake/libtool upgrades over the years, tarball checksums
> might change using that method.

 okay.

> History:  hail was GPL-2 only, following the lead of the kernel.  But it
> sounds like this is impractical given the few existing users, so I am in
> favor of relicensing to "GPL-2 or later".

 :)

> I disagree with the interpretation vis a vis openssl and several others
> do too.  However, if this is an impediment to use, I would be happy to
> accept a pull request adding the openssl exemption language.

 Probably ftpmasters in Debian archive would deny without it.
 Okay I'll do it later, thanks!

--
Regards,

 Hideki Yamane     henrich @ debian.or.jp/org