Hail status and update (was Re: Question about hail)

(CC'd hail-devel list)

On 11/26/2012 02:28 AM, Hideki Yamane wrote:
Hello hail upstream authors,

  I'm interested in porting hail (and Aeolus) to Debian, but have some
  questions about it.

Cool!

Q: Is this project is still alive? if so, where is the current main site.
    Could you tell me the status, please?

The main site for source code is currently github.

	https://github.com/jgarzik/hail
	https://github.com/jgarzik/tabled
	https://github.com/jgarzik/itd
	https://github.com/jgarzik/nfs4d

The Hail home page is https://hail.wiki.kernel.org/ but that clearly has some stale links on it (see below).

The status is definitely "long pause" at the moment, as it got de-prioritized by my employer, but I still have a goal of completing the Paxos implementation in CLD, making it truly distributed.

Patches are still accepted, and I want it to keep working on current platforms.

  - its upstream site "hail.wiki.kernel.org" points out some materials
    but those are empty at all.
     slide & audio: http://www.kernel.org/pub/media/talks/hail/
     git repo: http://git.kernel.org/?p=daemon/distsrv/itd.git
     source: http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/network/distsrv/

Hail was collateral damage in a kernel.org hack. No data was lost or compromised, but it took kernel.org months to recover even basic account services and git access. wikis took months longer after that. I'm still waiting to see if anybody has an archive of old tarballs, because k.org was my canonical upstream storage location, with zero local ones.

Local git cryptographic integrity -- the canonical root of all the source code -- never disappeared, and was always verified and not-hacked. It briefly moved to github, but is now back at kernel.org.

The tarballs can conceivably be recovered by checking out a git tag, re-running autogen.sh, and then "make dist"... but with autoconf/automake/libtool upgrades over the years, tarball checksums might change using that method.

   and there's no mail in http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.distributed.hail.devel
   except spam.

Pete complained about this too. Not sure what to do about it -- the mail server is vger.kernel.org, same as LKML, with a postmaster who maintains the spam filter to similar setup and standards.

I was surprised at Pete's spam report at first, too. I never see any of the spam, only the rare hail-devel message, because of good spam filtering. Of course, the M-L archiving bots seem to keep it all.

Q: Can you add special exemptions for OpenSSL to its license,
    and add "or later", too?

  - Its license is GPL-2, right? and it links to OpenSSL.
    However, openssl license is NOT compatible with GPL without special exemptions
    see http://lintian.debian.org/tags/possible-gpl-code-linked-with-openssl.html
    and http://www.openssl.org/support/faq.html#LEGAL2

    So, we cannot distribute hail binary without its special exemptions.

  - GPL-2 and GPL-3 is NOT compatible.
    However, Image Warehouse (part of Aeolus) is licensed under GPL-3, and
    it seems to link to hail library (hstor.h).

    We should change
     a) hail to "GPL-2 or later" or "GPL-3 (or later)"
     b) iwhd to "GPL-2"
    to avoid license incompatibility.

History: hail was GPL-2 only, following the lead of the kernel. But it sounds like this is impractical given the few existing users, so I am in favor of relicensing to "GPL-2 or later".

I disagree with the interpretation vis a vis openssl and several others do too. However, if this is an impediment to use, I would be happy to accept a pull request adding the openssl exemption language.

	Jeff