Re: Question about porting from gtk 2.x to 4.0

Thank you. Any other clue? The question is not interesting?

Giutor

On Sat, 29 Sep 2018 at 21:51, Allin Cottrell <cottrell@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, 29 Sep 2018, Giuseppe Torelli via gtk-list wrote:

> Hello,
>
> my application, Imagination, is written in GTK 2.x. After years of
> inactivity I finally started developing it again so I wanted to port it to
> GTK 3 but I noticed GTK 4 is under development.
>
> What do you guys suggest to do? Port my app to 3.0 or wait until 4.0 stable
> is released?

Just one simple observation: porting your app to 3.0 will probably
be trivial, if you're willing to use functions that are deprecated
in 3.0 (maybe less trivial if you use low-level drawing functions).
But porting to GTK 4.0 will likely be quite painful -- my
understanding is that everything that's deprecated in 3.0 (which is
quite a lot of bread-and-butter stuff in 2.x) will be gone in 4.0.

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics