Re: XTestFakeKeyEvent GDK-equivalent

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐

On 5 July 2018 10:32 PM, Allin Cottrell <cottrell@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Jul 2018, Anarchean via gtk-list wrote:
>
> > I'm working into implementing a virtual remote keyboard/touch pad
> >
> > daemon for Linux, currently I'm dumping events into an uinput
> >
> > device, but that is giving me some trouble with my keyboard layout
> >
> > (which is brazillian, br-abnt2). I was looking for a way to this
> >
> > in X, found XTestFakeKeyEvent and was wondering if I could make it
> >
> > simpler and cross-platform using GDK3. I tried this attached code,
> >
> > but it doesn't do anything. I was wondering if someone has done
> >
> > this before and know what I'm doing wrong or if I should just give
> >
> > up doing with GDK.
>
> The context is a little different, but the attached function works,
>
> given a pointers to an existing GtkWidget and GdkEvent.

I tried your code out. It works OK, but its limited to emitting events to a GTK managed window and what I really wanted was to insert events into the X11/Wayland Display server, so that any application which has the focus could receive the events.

Maybe that is not possible within GTK and I need to access lower-level libraries like X/Wayland?

> > Also, this is an extra, if I can't just fake key events, what
> >
> > should I use to map unicode chars into linux/input.h event key
> >
> > codes based on my keyboard layout on X? What about Wayland?
>
> man xmodmap ?

I didn't know about xmodmap. I don't want to capture the standard out, tho. But I'll look into their source code to say what they code to capture the mapping.

Thank you for your help, Allin! That gave me some direction.