Re: Simple question...

My counter-example, and my inspiration, is GIMP.  When you have a control-intensive things going on--the Dodge/Burn tool, for example, has eight spinbuttons, and 24 buttons of other types all in one sub-panel, and that doesn't even include the 50 or so buttons on other panels--you just don't have room for big, user-friendly, buttons, especially when you're working with images that need huge windows just to see the details.

I've rambled on about this before, but this is my big complaint with GTK these days: a lot of the flexibility has been taken away or it requires a lot of hacking to get back.  Yeah, cramped GIMP-style controls aren't pretty, and they might be harder to use, but sometimes they're necessary--and all my apps are highly control-intensive and the big controls don't leave me enough room to deal with the images I'm trying to do things with.

Chris