Re: Is it possible to catch ALT+TAB and do nothing

On Mon, May 07, 2018 at 04:27:57PM -0500, Igor Korot wrote:
> Paul et al,
> Any idea how to configure FVWM to not to give focus to xterm if one
> specific window is displayed?

You might ask on an fvwm mailing list, but fvwm does have a
NeverFocus method that can be applied to an application such as xterm.

http://www.fvwm.org/documentation/manpages/fvwm.html

But that would just fix your problem for xterm; to enforce focus for a
lock screen, there's more to do.  Have a look at the code for other
lock screens to find out what that is.

Briefly, make a global mouse and keyboard grab, subscribe to window
visibility events, and when they occur raise the window above whatever
was stacked on top of it.

You could also adjust xterm sources to ask for focus skip; bit 0 of
_WIN_HINTS property.

> I tried:
>
> [code]
> Key <my_window_name> Tab A M WindowList("!xterm")
> [/code]
>
> but it doesn't work.
>
> Thank you.
>

> On Mon, May 7, 2018 at 12:44 PM, Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > the window manager can intervene to catch more or less any key combinations
> > the user has told it to be interested in. if the user told it use Alt-Tab
> > for focus switching, it will catch that. you can't stop it.
> >
> > On Mon, May 7, 2018 at 12:52 PM, Igor Korot <ikorot01@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi, Paul,

> >> Yes, we are using FVWM as WM.
> >> I got a suggestion to write a function for this WM to stop the
> >> Terminal to appear
> >> when our Lock Screen is active, but here no one is familiar enough with
> >> this WM
> >> to write such a function.
> >>
> >> And I guess a different route is just not possible.
> >>
> >> And I would also guess that even if I put the "stay on top" flag,
> >> pressing the ALT+TAB will
> >> definitely switch the focus. Am I correct?
> >>
> >> Thank you.

James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/