Re: Gnome with high resolution display (4k, 27 inch)

On 09/23/2016 05:30 AM, Andrea Giammarchi wrote:
> Thanks for sharing your findings, I've updated archibold.io page with this
> info.
>
> Not sure we should file a bug in tweak tool project, I'll try to
> investigate how/where but hopefully they are reading this ML too.

I've always wondered why we have to bother with HiDPI stuff at all.
Seems kind of backwards to me to just scale things (pixels really) by an
arbitrary factor.  Why can't things be simply defined in terms of
pixel-independent units?  That way they'd look good regardless of the
DPI.  Don't get me wrong I'm sure a high-resolution display looks quite
lovely with the Gnome HiDPI stuff turned on. But it would also look
lovely if the GUI itself could simply scale to adapt to any resolution.

Hopefully someone can enlighten me as to why after years of hearing
about the promise of vector graphics allowing arbitrary and beautiful
scaling of our user interfaces, we are stuck with this HiDPI kludge and
apps that still think in pixels. And is this likely to ever change?