Re: 'color-activated' signal not emitting

That makes much more sense and now it's working as I expect it.

Thank you!

On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 9:02 AM, Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi;

On 25 July 2016 at 13:47, Craig Cabrey <craigcabrey@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Not really. The documentation says:
>>
>> """
>> Emitted when a color is activated from the color chooser. This usually
>> happens
>> when the user clicks a color swatch, or a color is selected and the user
>> presses
>> one of the keys Space, Shift+Space, Return or Enter.
>> """
>>
>> i.e. you need to activate the color, just like you'd activate a widget
>> or a menu item.
>

> That seems confusing to me. The way its written (or rather, the way I'm
> reading it) implies the signal will be emitted on any color change
> ("activated").

Nope. The term "activated" has a fairly specific meaning, in GTK+, and
it usually refers to the behaviour of widgets with regards to keyboard
interaction. See, for instance:

  https://lazka.github.io/pgi-docs/#Gtk-3.0/classes/Widget.html#Gtk.Widget.activate

In your case, you're using the color editor, which does not have
"activatable" parts.

> However, using the "notify" signal seems to work as well,
> although the signal is emitted a few times on startup that I'll have to
> ignore.

The `notify` signal is emitted every time a property changes; if you
use `notify::rgba` signal you'll, thus, be notified every time the
`rgba` property changes to a different value.

In general, GTK+ uses ::changed signals on classes where multiple
properties can change at the same time, or if what changes is not
mapped to a property at all; if there are readable properties, it's
much easier to get notification of changes straight from them.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
https://www.bassi.io