Re: Desktop as transient window

On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 12:57 PM, Jasper St. Pierre
<jstpierre@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> In recent GTK+ versions, GtkDialog emits a warning when it is mapped
> without a parent, saying that it is discouraged. See
> https://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/tree/gtk/gtkdialog.c#n776

I should my mouth/fingers closed/still when GTK3 is on the table.

Sorry for the noise. This warning seems unfortunate though. GtkDialog
is a useful class and doesn't inherently need a parent. Does it?

Using transient-parent on OS X is a very bad idea, and it really buys
nothing with tiled WM's either. It is very regrettable that X (and its
successors) have not implemented a more sophisticated app-centric
window layering model.