GTK+ on ARM9

Hello,
   actually this is my first thread in this mailing list, please help if you can.
   I am trying to build a GUI for a box running linux kernel on arm9 processor, and I have chosen gtk to  make it,
  the problem I have is gtk run environment, what does it takes to run my gtk programs on standalone linux kernel, what additional things do I need ??