Re: DMA support via gb-netlink and gbridge

A: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_post
Q: Were do I find info about this thing called top-posting?
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

A: No.

http://daringfireball.net/2007/07/on_top

On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 02:59:56PM -0400, Kyle Harding wrote:
> Thanks Greg, I've explained our solution poorly so I'll quote a colleague
> as I'm too close to the problem at this point!
>
> We'd like to essentially run a virtualized vendor kernel to manage a
> hardware device such as an SDIO wireless card passed through from the host,
> running a mainline kernel. Network traffic would be routed from host to
> guest over a virtio interface.
>
> Is it possible to use Greybus in this way, or am I misunderstanding the use
> case of this subsystem?

You could abuse greybus to do something like this, but that feels like a
ton of extra work when there are already solutions for this type of
thing today in Linux.  Why not just use some of the existing hardware
pass-through solutions that are out there that allow virtual kernels to
have access to hardware directly?  Why try to create yet-another way to
do this?

But hey, if you want to take the time to write such kernel code, all the
best!  :)

greg k-h