Re: DMA support via gb-netlink and gbridge

That does help, thank you Greg! It seems that in general the transport shouldn't be a problem.

What if the non-hardware side is a kvm guest kernel without IOMMU support? If we used greybus to expose the SDIO bus to the kvm would the DMA transfer garbage in Host Memory?

I understand this is a non-traditional approach, and I believe that with IOMMU this wouldn't be an issue.

Thanks,
Kyle

On Sat, Apr 17, 2021 at 2:08 AM Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, Apr 16, 2021 at 09:34:01AM -0400, Kyle Harding wrote:
> My understanding is that the system with the SDIO hardware will write
> packets directly to shared memory, and thus will be unavailable to be read
> by the networking stack on the remote/virtual system.

The SDIO hardware controller is off on the "device" side of a greybus
connection, not on the host, so if any DMA needs to happen, that device
side handles it.

The SDIO hardware is not on the "host" side, perhaps you are getting
confused as to how a greybus protocol is supposed to be used?

Think of it as a SDIO device that is plugged into a system by a USB
connection.  The USB data traveling to the device doesn't care about
SDIO dma stuff, as the whole SDIO controller hardware is in the USB
device itself.

You can think of greybus as just a way to tell a device "hey, here's
some SDIO data, can you read/write it please?"  The transport on which
that message goes on does not matter, which is why you can do this over
a network connection.

hope this helps,

greg k-h