Re: gpm synaptics

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 04:35:27PM -0800, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > I have written an fdi file so that the X support is tuned and working well.

And now I have also written a udev rule so it is also working with the
latest xorg.

> > However, I do not seem to be able to manage the gpm support on text
> > terminals.
> >
> > My /etc/gpm.conf is:
 [...]
> > type=exps2
> > #type=synps2  # fails?
[...]
> > As noted in the comment, setting type=synps2 fails. Is this expected?
>
> You need to use evdev type with 2.6 if you want synaptics-like features
> (multi-finger tapping, etc). There is (was?) no scrolling support. But
> in all honesty, why bother?

I have /etc/gpm-syn.conf installed with my gpm package and expected to
be able to see & tune those parameters. Are you telling me that that
file and driver is obsolete?

> Hmm, maybe we need to switch to evdev being the default type and them
> distros could dump mousedev support from the kernel... Just need to
> either teach GPM hotplug or have udev restart it when new input device
> gets plugged in or out.

Just to be clear: we are talking about support outside xorg? I
thought evdev was an xorg driver. Is there a package for evdev when xorg
is not in use?

ael