Re: gpm 1.20.4 released

On Tuesday 03 June 2008, Nico Schottelius wrote:
> Mike Frysinger [Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 09:24:29AM -0400]:
> > On Tuesday 03 June 2008, Nico Schottelius wrote:
> > > Mike Frysinger [Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 12:57:42PM -0400]:
> > >
> > > Sorry, why 1.20.1 -> 1.20.4? Didn't you mean 1.20.3 -> 1.20.4?
> >
> > i meant inclusive ... there are a lot more people out there now using the
> > SONAME with the new interface than there are with the old interface
>
> I am not sure how you can count that, but actually the soname bump was
> something I just missed for some years and did now.

i understand your reasoning for it.  obviously nothing can be counted on or
backed up with exact numbers.  what i'm saying is that it is more likely for
people to have installed the last 1.20.x version in the last 5 years and
built their code against that ABI than it is they installed the 1.19.x
version and built against that.

> I know that you dislike the bump, but you can see it from the positive
> side: You can prepare scripts to do the migration and you can reuse
> them, as soon as libgpm2.so.* is available, as it will most likely have
> some changes (and thus some different sonames) until being stable.

doing a SONAME change from gpm1 to gpm2 is fine.  as long as forward thinking
is planned, the API is completely different, and we account for ABI
compatibility ;).
-mike