Turn off tapping on Alps?

Greetings --

I have an Alps Glidepoint touchpad, which works fine with the default ps/2 kernel driver in 2.6.5.

Is there a way to turn tapping off? One that will work in both gpm and X11?

I realize having tapping work is a great bonus for some circumstances, but my pad gets in the way when I type.

I've tried to install the synaptics driver with the alps kernel patches from Peter Oesterlund, but the results aren't useful.

Please cc me.

Cheers,
David