GPM, XFree and Linux 2.6 work badly together

GPM was set to repeat as raw, X was reading from gpmdata (which is
unnecessary in linux 2.6, I know, but I inherited the setup from 2.4). In
short, 2.4 showed no detectable problems, but in 2.6 something weird
happened. I don't know what's the issue here, but I would want to warn
people using 2.6 kernel and gpmdata repeat to remove gpm as the middleman.

The symptoms in my case were prolonged periods (up to 10 seconds) during
which mouse in X wouldn't move because apparently gpm didn't get time or
wasn't run to tell X about updates in mouse position. This problem surfaced
only during heavy IDE-disk load, and I thought for weeks the problem was in
the kernel. For all I know, maybe it is. Just wanted to post an alert about
this problem, so someone else who sees the issue might hit this post and get
a clue.

Antti