Why is my GPM not working?

Hello,

I am here seeking help!

I just installed Redhat 9.0 but found the gpm isn't working with my GNOME desktop environment:

1)the gpm process is running without any problem;
2)the basic "selection & paste" function of gpm isn't working at all, I tried in both gnome terminal and emacs;
3)I couldn't use the middle button of my mouse to scroll a web page in Mozilla.

I would appreciate any help with this problem. Btw, I use PS2 three button mouse, and the gpm was configured with correct mouse type and mouse file.

Thanks,
Gaoyan Xie