Re: report

> > The Linux Kernel Team seems to make great progress in their Input
> > Devi=3D ces section, perhaps they'll develop a much smaller gpm
> > replacement as soon as =3D all mice protocols are supported in the
> > kernel.
>=20
> Mice protocols should _not_ be supported in the kernel. I don't expect
> gpm to be implemented by the kernel people at all.

Possibly I misunderstood what kernel developers do, but at looks like that=
=20
they support different mice and not just device drivers. Yesterday I looked
into the input documentation, but didn't find any stuff about mice protocol=
s.
I am not sure, what they plan. Just have a look into make menuconfig of
2.5.45 (after patching the Makefile somewhere in kconfig, else it won't run
without QT...).

> They ought to
> _remove_ selection stuff from TIOCLINUX instead, and gpm should become
> a user-space tool with no kernel support at all (in addition to
> /dev/vcs stuff, obviously).

This would at least help us using the buffer.
I will talk to kernel developers maybe soon.

> I don't think we must do that now, but _if_ something is going to
> change in the kernel, it will be _less_ gpm support, not more.

I didn't really mean they implement gpm, but mice drivers.
As I said I am not sure what they try to do.
=20
> That's my opinion, but I know I'm not alone.  Also, the work by Ian
> Zimmermann is worth looking at, I think. I hadn't time to,
> unfortunately (and I haven't looked at a huge lot of other interesting
> stuff as well).

The old time problem, which I try to ignore for the next time...

Nico